Thursday, May 28, 2009

Modified Elim. Diet

I've been wondering whether this blog is worth keeping up--what with all of the other blogs and sites I work on. But a perusal of entries past has me remembering the value of this 'lil blog.

For the past three months I have been trying to sort out what's gone wrong in my diet.

Symptoms:
-bloating
-fatigue
-acid stomach

Old symptoms popping back up, and I have yet to lay a finger on just why that may be. I've consulted an expert (Dr. Vikki Petersen), been charting through my book about acupuncture (r/e symptoms and related foods) and now perusing back through old posts on this here blog to determine how my diet's changed, and what are my possible offenders.

Now, I may be completely off, but here are some possibilities, far as I can tell:
-eggs
-bell peppers
-onions
-garlic
-rice
-potatoes

I figure the offender(s) must be something(s) that I have virtually every day, so those are the most likely, but a bit of research has rendered most of these foods relative. To a lecithin intolerance that is.

Foods containing lecithin include:
  • Tomatoes
  • Potatoes (not yams or sweet potatoes)
  • Eggplant
  • Bell peppers
  • Tobacco
  • Soy
  • Peanuts
This could very well be it, and here's why I think so:

  1. I stopped eating potato chips about a week and a half ago since I was having Kettle chips daily and suspected that those were part of the problem.
  2. We eat bell pepper strips nearly every single night.
  3. I've not been much of a soy person since going gluten & casein free, but lately have been having it more often.
  4. Peanuts give me a sore throat.
  5. Too many tomato products leaves my tongue pale.
This is not the most imperfect or scientific experiment, but hopefully I am onto something.

I figured all of this out yesterday evening after a meditation on the subject and then began my modified elimination diet, using prior food journals and the above research to create a menu for myself.

Here are today's stats:

@ waist 29"
2" below belly button 31.6"

(yesterday was 30 and 32" respectively)

Breakfast:
-TJ's Chicken Apple Sausage (1 piece, microwaved, since Tay made eggs on the Le Creuset)
-1 of the Awful Almond/Coconut Cookies I made last night

Snack:
-1/2 Inspired Cookie, Choco./Jasmine
-1 of the Awful Cookies