Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Honey Baked Disappointment

I do apologize for my little hiatus here. But very soon (maybe even by tomorrow) I will be able to proudly introduce you all to the gluten-free site that my boyfriend and I have been busy building. So, shall I get to the point of why I am so utterly disappointed in the HoneyBaked Co.?


A bit tired of the same ole' recipes, I decided to purchase a turkey breast from the HoneyBaked Co. It would feed us for the better part of the week, and seemed like a nice treat for out tastebuds.

Well, I looked online to verify their gluten-free status and found this under the FAQ section of the HoneyBaked website:
Do your hams or turkey breast contain glutens? We have reformulated our glaze to be considered free of allergens. This means our hams and turkey breasts DO NOT contain glutens.

I even called ahead to be sure that my venture out in a hail storm would prove successful. I showed up at the HoneyBaked store and waited in line patiently for 20 minutes or so, and then it was my turn, I was starving, and about to possess a delicious HoneyBaked Turkey!!

I voiced my order and was asked whether I preferred the smoked or roasted version. I asked if both were gluten-free. This question quickly managed to stun the entire staff at work, no one knew a) what was in the turkeys and b) what gluten was. I informed them that gluten is the protein of wheat, barley or rye, and simply asked for an ingredient list, so that I could check--even though the website stated that all the turkeys (and hams) are gluten-free.

Sadly, the only ingredient list that even the manager was able to produce was a 10 yr. old small sliver of plastic plastered to one of the registers which listed off one solitary ingredient list. Now, against my better judgement, I could have chosen to ignore the fact that "corn syrup" was a main ingredient, but "wheat starch" was NOT okay. I mentioned the website, and offered that the formula might have been changed, but the manager insisted it hadn't.

I was starving, and bummed, but went to Whole Foods and wound up making chicken tenders dipped in crushed brown rice crispies and sauteed/pan fried---YUM! I also e-mailed the HoneyBaked Co. to find out their take on this situation, and whether or not their products are in fact gluten-free. Here is their reply:

Can you tell me what store you visited? The gluten free formula is for the South East division of the HoneyBaked Ham Company. You may have visited a store outside of our division.

All I can say is, SERIOUSLY?! I have, however, replied asking whether this is indicated anywhere on their website, or if they plan to mention it at all.
I just received another reply:

There are different divisions of the HoneyBaked Ham Company and they do have different ingredients. When you visit the main website which is www.honeybaked.com you will be asked to specify what state you reside in. Once you pick the state, it will direct you to the division in your area. You will need to visit the website for our California division to find their nutritional information. They may have gluten free products but I am not sure.


Ultimately, when you consider the severity of food allergies and intolerances, and HoneyBaked's levels of irresponsibility, it is simply mind blowing. An internet search for "HoneyBaked, gluten-free" can quickly lead you to any of their division's web pages stating that the hams and turkeys are gluten-free, but if you don't live in that same state, you may get a glutened ham or turkey.

The company would do much better to list states which offer gluten-free turkeys and hams, instead of being so vague. I for one, will be avoiding the HoneyBaked products from here on, and consider that HoneyBaked products are not gluten-free, since unless you know the origin of the ham or turkey, you won't know whether or not it has gluten until perhaps too late.