Tuesday, December 30, 2008

At Least Whole Foods is (Finally) Doing the Responsible Thing

For any who hasn't seen it, this is a very interesting article in follow-up to the whole Wellshire Farms conspiracy. Okay, so "conspiracy" is a bit of an exaggeration, but in the gluten-free community the company's blatant disregard for the health of its customers is just utterly mind-blowing.

Well, yes, I am being dramatic, but I must admit that even though I do feel badly for the employees of that company, it does give me pleasure to see the shelves overflowing in unpurchased, unpopular Wellshire products. Now, do understand, that if the company were to do the responsible (and yes, expensive) thing and pull those products, and immediately begin relabeling or safety testing to ensure the absence of any gluten contaminants, I would be much kinder. But a disregard for your and my health leaves me with a somewhat sour taste.

Anyway, here's the article, I'll be quiet now:

Whole Foods pulls 'gluten-free' products that contain the substance