Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lou's Famous = Wellshire Farms

It seems that I've made a Wellshire mistake.

I was so excited this morning to fix these new gluten-free sausages that I just bought for the fist time from my local Whole Foods. I had never seen this brand before, and when I saw Lou's Famous sausages in flavors like skinless chicken apple and artichoke/olive I was thrilled!

So I was a bit disappointed when, while cooking them, I realized that this "Lou's Famous" is actually a Wellshire Farms company, durnnit. Now, for those who don't know, several Wellshire Farms kids foods which were labeled "gluten free" were found to be contaminated with gluten when tested by the Chicago Tribune.

I am just hoping that these sausages are perhaps made in a different facility, or are somehow not cross-contaminated. I looked up the website, and I really do have to say, that the Wellshire Farms family seems very nice, but I can't ignore the fact that their saftey standards have failed so many who are gluten sensitive.

I know that this is very risky, but I am eating the sausage--since it was already cooked when I realized. I am just hoping that it is manufactured in another facility. I may also e-mail the company to inquire. Only time will tell now.