Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Crazy for Cider Quinoa

Since even just the suspicion of a gluten sensitivity I have been cooking up quinoa. Though about a month ago I was ready to give up on the stubborn grain after my favorite marinade was no longer available at Whole Foods.

Flavoring this stuff is just never very easy--it requires just the right balance and potency. So unless you can actually still eat dairy and thus enjoy a good quinoa risotto, I am sure you know have fought similar battles.

Recently, however, I figured out my personal, perfect quinoa dish! After learning more about the possible digestive benefits of garlic and apple cider vinegar, I began incorporating them into just about every dish. I buy the brand Bragg's, since the pasteurized stuff never tastes the same, but I do microwave or cook it in, since there is supposedly a slight risk in consuming raw cider vinegar.

I wash my quiona, dump in a one-t0-two count of apple cider vinegar, add a splash of olive oil, a couple of chopped garlic cloves and begin to simmer. Once the quinoa is stirred and coated, I dump in the water and cook away, adding kosher salt to taste.

This is the best tasting quinoa I've had. The sour cider completely changes the taste, much to my liking!

The costs/benefits of apple cider vinegar are still controversial, but for girl who can't even eat cheese, I crave some complexity of flavor, and the cider really hits the spot.